Leather Doctor® Kit-S7.cl is designed for dye refinishing suede leathers after degreasing in a holistic approach. Most severely penetrated, prolonged and neglected stains from the bare head and hands that show a darkening effect with a sticky feel have its dyestuff probably deteriorated by the oil, grease and sweat. When the stain feels sticky, it is a sign of leather denaturing and reverting to rawhide from breaking of bonds with the tanning agent. When sign of dye is transfer to a white towel, it indicates that the dyestuff has also break bonds with the protein fiber. When leather is stiff or show signs of whitish residue migrating, it shows that the fatliquor is breaking bonds as well with the protein fiber. The main component of the leather protein fiber is amphoteric while the other constituents are not; shifting of the pH caused from sweat to alkalinity affects the pH imbalance. To revert from denaturing into rawhide prior to dye refinishing, contaminated alkaline soiling is removed with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies greasy contamination besides controlling dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Protector-S+/S enhances a non-stick silky-feel to shield against sticky soiling. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe suede dye refinishing system. For fine suede, treat it as nubuck (Kit N7.cl) using nubuck Brush-2 / Eraser-4 instead.
1. Shake Degreaser-2.2 to gel prior to use.
2. Transfer to Eraser-5; agitate to saturate the stain, feather out to the entire section and let dwell 10 to 30 minutes.
3. Towel extracts suspended soiling before it dries until it shows clean.
4. Spray Acidifier-2.0, towel extract until it shows clean to a healthy squeak.
1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 saturating the stain area and feather out for an even appearance.
2. Cover the stain with tissue paper without airspace to trap wick up soiling particulates instead of remaining on the leather surface as it dries.
3. Erase wick-up dry particulates with Eraser-5 prior to dye application.
1. Apply Suede-28 with airbrushing to produce professional result by controlling even dispersion over the surface.
2. Light mist spray is preferred and let dry in between coats to observed color intensifying effect.
Fat and Oil Replenishing:
1. Spray Fatliquor-5.0 and redistribute with foam brush until saturation.
2. Repeat application each time water contents evaporate until fully saturated.
3. Drive remaining surface remnants free of milky fat and oil until it turns clear with Hydrator-3.3.
4. Allow natural drying for extra softness.
5. Erase wick-up dry particulates with Eraser-5 prior to dye fixing.
1. Application is done by mist sprayer or professionally by compress dry application with a cone shape spray at air pressure between 80 to 100psi.
2. Compress dry application is achieve with increased atomization and decreased feed.
3. Spray application is done in a circular motion with continuous brushing deep into the nap without over flooding a section at a time.
4. Use suede Brush-3 5 again when dry for a “finger writing effect”.
Non-stick, Rub-Resistant Protection:
1. Shake well, mist spray Protector-S+ evenly and brush-in with nubuck Brush-2.
2. When dry thereafter groom with suede Brush-3 again for a silky finger writing effect and it is ready for use.
Kit Content and Product Description:
Leather Doctor® Suede-28 (120ml)
Leather Doctor® Suede-28 is a translucent hybrid dyestuff that surface color to camouflage or obscure unwanted stains by fine airbrushing for nubuck and suede. A transparent Suede-17 for dyeing to maintain its natural clarity and tactile sensation should be the first priority. For an opaque better coverage use Suede-39. All medium types are intermixable for the desired result.
Leather Doctor® DyeFix-99 (120ml)
This is a water-based formulation dye fix spray to abate crocking. It greatly reduced or eliminated crocking on most leather with good fixing. It improves wet rub fastness and reduces bleeding. It maintains the natural feel and “finger writing effect” of the nap.
Leather Doctor® Degreaser-2.2 (120ml)
This is a waterbased pH 2.2 high viscosity formulated leather degreaser. It is for degreasing leather of penetrated oil, grease and sweat stains from skin and hair contact. Emulsified contamination is rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to a healthy squeaky-feel from denaturing the leather to rawhide.
Leather Doctor® Acidifier-2.0 (250ml)
This is a waterbased pH 2.0 leather acidifier to pH balance alkaline overexposure and returning the leather to a healthy squeaky-feel. It is to strengthen the ionic bond between the tanning agent and the leather protein fiber from denaturing to rawhide, dyestuff from bleeding and effective bonding of replenishing fat and oil.
Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3 (250ml)
This is a waterbased pH 3.3 leather-safe hydrator with active surfactantcy for lowering the interfacial tension. It is for hydrating dried, stiffed or shrunk leathers to separates the crushed, stick together fibrils and relaxes them. It is for charging the leather protein fibers below its iso-electric point positive for long lasting hydrogen bond with the ionic negative charged Fatliquor-5.0. It is for facilitating colloidal water movement within the leather structure during the wicking process to move soiling particulates to the surface.
Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0 (250ml)
This is a pH 5.0 anionic charged micro emulsion fatliquor to rejuvenate leather with softness, suppleness and strength. It is for replenishing original fat and oil that diminishes thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and sweat exposure or cleaning. It penetrates and lubricates the leather fibers so that after drying they will be capable of sliding over one another smoothly. It softens the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, while enhancing its rip tensile strength greatly. It relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles enhance suppleness and prevent cracking. It helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing.
Leather Doctor® Protector-S (120ml)
This is a non-film forming, non-stick rub resistant protector that enhances a soft natural silky-feel. It is for imparting a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling. Its natural silky-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus prolonging the characteristic finger writing effect of nubuck.
This is a 2½ x 2 x ¾ inch fine pumice block with corrugated side for effective nap exfoliation.
This brass bristles detailing brush is ergonomically designed to be an extension of our hand with sturdy grooved grip, designed to produce effective result easily and efficiently. It is recommended for split suede that provides tough, aggressive cleaning with mild abrasiveness; to reduce aggressiveness slant it at an angle especially for cleaning hair on hide. Length is 7 inches with a three-row bristle 1½ inches cleaning head.
3 inch Poly-Brush (1 pc)
This is a dense foam that resists tearing and shredding and carries more material. It has a solid wood handle that allows greater control for quality results. It is used for controlling and spreading fatliquor for a more even distribution.
Paper Towel Rags (5 pc)
This rag works like cloth, lint free, highly absorbent and washable. General application is for extracting suspended soiling or for spreading hydrator, fatliquor or protector. It is used for both dye and topcoat padding for smooth leathers